Tuesday 18 November 2008

The everyday journey

Today we had a belated birthday celebration in our bus!
Whoever heard of that?
Well, yes we did have a celebration in the bus!

Yesterday one of my colleague celebrated his birthday and among the options of choosing for the celebration we hit upon this idea of having a breakfast party! So the birthday boy (of course he was the host!) was to pick veg puffs and cup cakes from a local bakery and bring in for all the travel companions! It was fun!

Our bus gang (yeah I dare call it that!) is cool. Some time back, due to road works our travel time increased considerable and the bus we had was not in too good a shape. This necessitated us to make the journey tolerable if not interesting. As they say necessity is the mother of all invention – I introduced the game of ‘Dumb Charades’ during our daily journey. Not that this game needs introduction much less is it my invention but I used the word ‘necessitated’ earlier on and it needed company! So there we go – playing charades on our way back home from office. The daily play instilled camaraderie among us and we started to enjoy the travel.
We usually occupy the last seats – reminding me of a term we used a lot in school/college days. We used to call ourselves (yeah I’ve always been that) ‘LLB’ (not the law school type) aka ‘Lords of the Last benches’. That’s where you get to be naughty and playful and make all the noise you want!

Since it is thanksgiving month (that’s what is going on around the blog world) I thought I might as well thank my travel companions (who are my colleagues) for making the journey so not-a-rut (wish I could think of a suitable word there)! It so helps to leave work and office and go ‘home’.
I sometimes think that this Thanksgiving tradition in the Western world is needed here as well. (Or maybe it’s just me – I don’t thank people in my life enough!)

Isn’t it amazing that small things can make a huge difference!

2 comments:

Risha said...

that's a good way of travelling the journey together :) birthday celebration is bus sounds so cool. seems like you guys have picnic everyday, I remember we used to sing and play dumb charades in bus to kill time during picnics.

on a second note : the banner of your blog looks very nice and professional :) good work of art

-P said...

Thanks!
I wanted something original of course and I had the time to whip this up!