Friday 19 December 2008

The Last Sparrow…

(image is not mine- I oculd not find a sparrow even to take a picture. it is from somewhere on the Internet)
I hope not. Here is a simple sight that made me happy today. I saw some common sparrows! And I thought they are all extinct now!


As kids we used to get a lot of these teeny tiny visitors. They used to be everywhere – on the trees nearby, on our balcony railing, in the hallway to our home – just about everywhere chirping their merry songs. We used to leave food grains out on the window ledge or the banisters for them and it used to be fun to watch them pick the grains. There is a tree in very close proximity and these birdies use to come and gather soft twigs for their nests. So all was well then.
Then sometime about 2-3 years ago I realised I had not seen a sparrow in a long time. I even discussed this at home and everybody agreed. True the trees around were almost gone. The only exception of this huge fig which still lies in close proximity to us. In fact it is so close that we need to sometimes trim it thru our window so that the branches do not grow inwards(towards our house that is). So coming back to the main subject, we all began missing the sparrows and used to wait for a sighting which used to be so common.
I still miss them. I was reminded of this because a couple of days back I spilled over some wheat grains on the floor. Now we didn’t wanna use them so I placed them on a platform outside my door. 2 days hence, the grains are still there. I am ready to swear, this would not have happened had it been a few years ago! We must be doing something verrrry wrong to drive out these harmless little ones don’t u think?
Now I wish to say –
Long Live the Sparrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey thats a very tru piece, and i relate to every word of that post!Infact as a kid i used to keep this box of grains saved and every morn i wd sit by the window and place palmful of grains and see the cute sparrows feed on them.it was such a pleasure!And its indeed very sad that i can't meet my friend anywhere these days.Would not even want to think they are extinct!They are one of the sweetest living beings, and harmless!Miss them now.....