Thursday 11 December 2008

Percy Penguin

When: Three months ago.
I am born. After my birth, my mother has gone away in search for food. For her and for me. Before that she has safely transported me to my father. They make sure that I am protected from this cold that surrounds me and I am not exposed to the harshness that surrounds us, just yet!

Fast forward
When: 1 month ago.
My mother returns. She has food for me. I get to know my mother. I am glad she is back. I look around, some of my friends’ mothers have not returned. Some have returned to see my friends have not survived. My lessons on the race of survival have already begun. I have understood that family and friends matter a lot. My mother and father underwent through a lot of hardships – just so that I may survive! My friends /community also had an important part in my survival. We had to stay huddled together to fight the cold.

Fast forward to present.
The cold has subsided a little and greenery begins to show. I now play with my friends. My parents teach me basic skills, they tell me how to be a better penguin. Here I have climbed a rock which is my throne. Note the little gold crown on my head. I am the king! I rule!

I wrote this story for a creative writing site http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/

No comments: