Tuesday 24 February 2009

And the Oscar goes to…

Slumdog Millionaire ...
Slumdog Millionaire ...
Slumdog Millionaire ...
Well ok!
The whole day the news channels here are running news of how this is India’s victory, how this opens doors for Indians at the Academy etc.!
All the channels – radio and TV and repeatedly playing Jai Ho.
We hear – “The success of Slumdog Millionaire at the Oscars had made India proud”.
Has it? Really?
I disagree. I, proudly Indian, disagree. No, I did not make a grammatical error there. I intend to say “proudly” and not “proud”.
I fail to understand why has this made people so happy? Is it the need to identify with anything successful that has remotely something to do with India? (I have similar views on associating Kalpana Chawla with India but that is another post.) This movie is not Indian. Neither a complete representation of India for that matter. India could be this but it is much more.
I have to admit that I have not yet watched the film. The initial reviews of the movie did that to me. From what I heard, India is not shown in good light. Yet, people rejoice!
I see a silver lining though. A.R. Rehman is truly a sensational musician and his getting the award makes me happy.
Other than that, even though the cast is from India, this movie is not.
I cant help but think, where does this leave Indians(or India), as slumdogs or millionaires?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, i do agree to what you have said in part.I think the tendency to associate one's name to anything famous no matter how remote is very Indian as a nature.You would find how people would tell you that they were "related" to the famous celebrity's uncle's-long-forgotten-cousin's-neighbour's-younger son's adopted lineage!!But they still would claim to have some "connection" just to sweel up their ego when they see those raised eyebrows by mere mention of having known them!Any real person who has seen fame and values the effort behind would understand that such "connections" just make you much smaller in image..I would associate such nature with someone who personally has low self image. That's why when everyone is raving about the movie being India's glory, i feel sad that we have claimed it as ours when in essence it has nothing whatsoever in terms of our contribution.Definitely Rahman was outstanding and then again dats his hard work dats been recognised.Lets appreciate one's contribution rather than trying to steal someone's stage and claim as our own.We as a nation have a lot to learn ...we can start by being humble at an individual self.....well..looks like my reply has turned out to be a post in itself;-)!!