Thursday 23 April 2009

I voted…

Of course…
Did you?
Well today is the phase 2 of voting in India and there has been much excitement around voting.
Till last evening I was the only one from my family who was going to vote (I do every year). With a lot of convincing on my part, my sister also agreed to vote; though she termed my convincing as ‘lecturing’. After all results matter, don’t they! I am so proud of her.
We usually get voting slips and this time my sister’s name did not appear though she has a voter id. So we had to do a lot of hunting around different poll booths to find her name. It’s not easy, to say the least. Finally, we found one place which has a computer database and hence easier to search from list. There we found her details and so off we went.
Sadly, I couldn’t convince my mom enough. Her argument, it doesn’t make a difference whoever we vote, all are corrupt to some extent or the other! Well. To this my argument is you can at least cast your vote and try to change the system. Too add, I think after you vote and it still doesn’t work, you have a right to speak of the wrong-doings. Another argument my mom put up was that none of the candidates or their representatives have come soliciting votes this year. There have been some mass rallies true but not the old fashioned soliciting. She says they are all interested in the votes that they can buy, not the educated votes. To this, I rest my case. Why, I agree to this to some point. All the same, I have gone and cast my vote!

Does my voting give me a right to chastise those who have not voted? I don’t know. I reprimand them nonetheless. Of course after trying to convince them to vote!
If you haven’t already, go vote.

No comments: