Friday 18 July 2008

Gurur Brahma, Gurur Vishnu…

I shall narrate some very funny incidents that happened long ago–
At school we were taught to pronounce circle in a very specific way. We used to call it ‘sek kel’ – with the ‘r’ being silent and the k heavily pronounced. As happens in childhood, whatever is taught in school, I used to come home and repeat (read teach) to my younger sister and parents! Now imagine the plight of my parents when they used to pronounce ‘circle’ as ‘seRkal’ and I used to ask them to repeat it over and over till they get the pronunciation right!
The next incident is told to me by mom and some of her friends (me being too young to remember it – 4 year old to be precise). Mom had come to fetch me from school when it was closing time one day. Our teacher was leading us from the play area back to the classroom. Mom was their with some other student’s mothers (who turned out to be great friends later on). As instructed by our teacher, we all (at least the obedient ones) were walking with our hands folded and fingers on our lips – to curb the noise and limit the ruckus created! Mom spotted me walking in the line and called out. And what could be my reaction? I tell mom – ‘Shhh. No talking while walking back to class.’ And I just walked off while mom and friends burst out laughing after recovering from the initial shock!

Why am I reminded of these incidents now? Well, today is Guru Pournima. How much ever we write about our gurus or teachers it would never be enough! We can never thank them enough either. Thus, I decided to muse upon (on a light note) the earliest incidents relating to the impact that a teacher could have on the students!
My sincere regards to all the teachers, mentors and not to forget the first ever teachers- our parents.
Guru Brahma Gurur Vishnu
Guru Devo Maheshwaraha
Guru Saakshat Para Brahma
Tasmai Sree Gurave Namaha
Meaning:Guru is verily the representative of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. He creates, sustains knowledge and destroys the weeds of ignorance. I salute such a Guru.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey i missed this date:(.Impact of teachers(esp school i wud bliv)..cant ever match their contribution in moulding our lives.The fact that we still remember such incidents and feel nostalgic is proff of the level of their influence...Was just reading an article of the lack of faculty for the upcoming IITs.Irony?

regards,
S.Vasudha

Risha said...

i missed this date as well. i remember sep 4 generally.
nice one! teachers really have a great impact on all our lives