Tuesday 1 July 2008

Hair and Now


We girls share a love hate relationship with our hair. I mean all the girls I know have at some point or the other complained about their hair. Girls with short hair want a longer mane, the ones with curly envy straight hair (I’m one of them), straight haired girls want curls. If nothing else, brunettes want be blondes, red heads and all. And then there is this inevitable ‘I’m greying let me colour the hair’!
All this no doubt gives huge income source to the fashion industry.

Whenever I get bored of my look (basically looking at myself in the mirror) I turn to the easiest and the sure shot way of changing the look which is to get my hair cut. So it feels nice when I walk out with the new style – and it feels nice only then since it is nicely styled. Day 2 and the style goes sloppy and washed away and it ceases to look nice. My sisters keep telling me – the only day my hair looks good is the day I have a haircut!
This blog would be incomplete if I do not mention an incident. This was a couple years ago and a friend of mine Dee and I used to be flatmates in the US. We used to grumble and whine about the hard water and how it is bad for the hair (though for credit, somehow hair grows in length there!) So there we were getting ready to go for a party. Dee was trying to set her hair and most of you would agree, when we want the hair be set in a particular way, it never does, so she was not happy with the result of her style. She blurted out ‘I hate my hair’. This was not the first time I’d heard this from her and this time I joined in saying ‘Me too.’ First she thought I’m being sympathetic to her saying ‘I hate my hair as well and it’s the usual story etc’ but then she looked at me and I with a straight face said ‘Yeah, me too, as in I hate your hair’. We just burst out laughing at this and this has been our long standing joke since then.

I have been obsessed with those tresses for quite some time now. A few of my friends sail in the same boat. Every now and then comes up this topic where somebody says she is suffering from hair loss and the rest join in the cribbing. Some bold souls try to chip in with remedies – eat this, apply that. But the saga continues.
Sometime I wonder, am I losing hair over stress or am I stressed about losing hair!

1 comment:

Risha said...

ha ha ha
wht a coincidence i'm having a bad hair day today