Friday 27 June 2008

You look nice today!

How often do we give compliments? And receive?
More important is the question, how often are the compliments that we give truly heartfelt?
A few years back, it was Diwali time and festivities in the air. Girls don’t need a reason to dress up anyway and it being festival time, it was decided that we all would be adorned in our best festive and traditional attire. Thus, there we (me and a friend) were heading to office in sarees!
Along came some gals we knew – and then as is customary, we appreciated each others sarees and jewellery and looks. Its kind of a deal – you say I’m looking nice and I say you are!
And then came a couple of other girls and again they complimented us on well we looked etc.
Then amongst the two of us we started talking and saying that these girls don’t mean what they say. So just as a sport for that day, we started categorizing the compliments! So here were our categories –
Artificial – just because I saw you and you have done something different, I must tell you that you look good!
Envious – You are looking nice and I don’t like it but I shall not say that to your face!
Return Compliment – You complimented me so I just have to pay back!
Rare and Genuine – This one speaks for itself!

Some things are so etched in your mind! Since that day whenever I receive a compliment, I can’t help but categorise and it is instinctive! And when I give one I try that it be only when I genuinely feel so…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your post has really called for my comment:)!Firstly,really like the artwork for the title(blv its ur creative effort). Infact back in collg i prepared this diary, where i had put in just random words to introduce myself.Kinda reminded me of that.Btw, completely agree dat previous address line was more gibberish than the changed(welcome one!)url;)
Well, back to this post, I guess its really important to compliment only if it falls under the last category mentioned.i've been a victim to several glares on "NOT" being "COURTEOUS" enuf to return compliments.I once found a grp of ppl involved in this mutual admiration thing going and me being a mere spectator:(...well, to be fair, lets compliment wen we really feel its worth it, and avoid saying anything if we do think so:)!!
Well, i guess this comment is more of a separate post in itself;)....Vasudha