Tuesday 17 June 2008

I drag myself to the finish line (somehow)


I just finished reading the Zahir by Paulo Coehlo. I may not be right in saying that I was disappointed. Well I had not read very good reviews of the book to have any hopes on anyway!
I didn’t much like the book. It takes off and reaches its peak in the first 2-3 pages. After that it’s a lull, nothing really happening in the story and the same lines being repeated over and over again. There is no build of the story and at a point it gets quite boring. I am a compulsive-till-the-epilogue reader – by which I mean, I usually don’t leave book half read – I need to complete them till the last page. Only that stopped me from putting this one away and I thought I’d rather finish it.
Of the Paulo Coelho books I’ve read so far, I only liked ‘The Alchemist’. I have read ‘By the River Piedra, I sat and Wept’. ‘Eleven Minutes’, ‘The Pilgrimage’ and ‘The witch of Portobello’ (which again I made myself complete). Sorry if anybody is his big fan but somehow I find that most of his characters in all the plots similar. Its like cashing in on one big hit!

No comments: