Thursday 5 June 2008

My bit for the world…

Today is the World Environment Day so I thought I should write a bit about that… I try to do my bit to protect the environment -

  • I have CFL lamps at home
  • I switch off lights / appliances if not in use (even in office)
  • I switch off my monitor (and others around me) when I’m away from my desk
  • I try to close running /dripping taps – wherever I find them
  • For short distances, I prefer walking
  • I use mass transportation system (bus) to most places – though its partly also due to the fact that I don’t much enjoy driving bumper to bumper on the small streets
  • I try to use less paper – I’ve stopped most of my paper bills and have opted for Online bills (most banks now give paper bills when asked for and e-bills regularly)
  • I use the printer less often
  • I keep complaining about wastage of paper (to the point of sale) if the paper bills in stores are bigger than required (yeah I’ve been thought of being a fanatic I’m sure)
  • I carry a jute bag for lunch
  • I try and refuse using plastic bags as far as I can
  • My vehicles are PUC certified!
  • Try to make people around me aware of our duty towards the environment

I am guilty of -

  • Not planting /nurturing trees
  • Sometimes (unwillingly) wasting food
  • Using plastic bags (when I forget to carry one of my own)
  • Travelling by air (international – once a year at least: that’s my job though – cant avoid)
  • Don’t always buy local
  • And more… though I’d try and change this!

No comments: