Friday 6 June 2008

Ouch Potato


No… I have not missed ‘c’ and it was not meant to be ‘couch potato’…
Why did I think of this – well, today there were 3 of us for lunch, all of us had potato subji and all made differently!
Hence, here is my ode to the potato!

This is one veggie which I’m glad is universally available (well at least in all the countries that I travelled to).
I was wondering if the potato were not available, life (ok that’s going too far) food for me would have been quite different, especially out of India given that I’m a vegetarian! Available from the smallest size the size of marbles called baby potatoes to the largest – baking/jacket potatoes, they are used in multitude of cuisines, can be cooked in various ways – have them baked, boiled, roasted, fried, mashed, whole, spiced or bland.

Without dragging this too much, here are few interesting things that I know about the potato –

  • The year 2008 has been declared the International Year of the Potato by the United Nations
  • Potato-based alcohol fuelled German planes in World War II?
  • (This is what we heard in Belgium) – French Fries are not really “French”. They originated in Belgium, and are called ‘Frituur’ there, but because Belgium was under the ‘French’ rule then, the French publicised them as ‘French Fries’!

1 comment:

Dipsy said...

I remember the conversation about french fries being called 'Frituur' when we were in US in 2005. We even attempted to make frozen Frituur ki sabzi :) Now I know the origin of this name..